MCAH Blog

Topical Flea/Tick Toxicity in Cats

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 | Comments (0)

Toxicity in dogs and cats frequently can be due to ingestion of a toxin, but also can be due to absorption through the skin.Topical toxicity is of concern in cats especially, as there are dog products that cannot be applied to cats.The principle among these types of products are topical flea/tick preventatives that are labeled for dogs and accidentally applied to cats.

There are multiple topical flea/tick products for dogs that contain pyrethrin/permethrin, such as Vectra or K9 Advantix.These ingredients are toxic when applied to cats.Cats inappropriately given a pyrethrin can develop muscle tremors, seizures, weakness, a stumbling walk, fever, and even death if not treated.

If a cat is accidentally exposed to a pyrethrin, the first step is to remove the product from the skin if possible.Bathing or using a washcloth with Dawn dishsoap helps decrease the contact with the skin and prevent further reabsorption.If the reaction progresses past twitching, then these cats need to be treated in-hospital to stop muscle tremoring, seizures, and monitor heart/respiratory rate.With supportive care, these cats typically improve within 72 hours.

It is always important to remember to pay attention to what products you are using on your dogs that your cat can access, or to not accidentally use your dog product on your cat!If you are concerned that your cat may have been exposed to a topical toxin, please give us a call right away.With the invention of oral flea/tick prevention for dogs, it helps greatly decrease the risk of an accidental exposure.Give us a call to discuss Bravecto or Nexgard for your dog’s flea/tick prevention needs, and protect your cat for an accidental toxin exposure at the same time!                                                                                                        

                                                  

Grape and Raisin Toxicity

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 | Comments (0)

 

March is pet poison prevention month, and it gets us here at Mt. Carmel thinking about all the various things our pets can get into that could be a problem for them!With dogs, food items tend to be the biggest inappropriate temptation that they can’t keep away from.Particularly for families with children in the house, grapes and raisins can prove to be a potentially serious issue for our canine companions.

Grapes and raisins are a tricky issue for ingestion, as we don’t know the “exact” amount that needs to be ingested that can be considered safe or not.Therefore, we have to treat any grape or raisin ingestion like a potential problem.Grape and raisin toxicity can prevent in a variety of ways, including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and not wanting to eat.Without treatment for severe toxicity, ingestion also can lead to kidney failure and death.

With a known or possible ingestion, it is important to try to get your dog to vomit so as to not digest as many grapes/raisins as possible.Depending on the number ingested or how long it has been since they are eaten, dogs also may need a dose of activated charcoal, which helps prevent further absorption through the GI tract.For ingestions that occurred long enough before vomiting was initiated that all grapes or raisins were already digested, these dogs may need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids to help protect their kidneys from damage for 2-3 days.

If there is ever a possibility your dog may have eaten some, please give us a call right away for help!