The Mount Carmel Animal Hospital policies were developed to support our goal of delivering excellent medical care and superior client service. These policies support our ability to provide the highest possible quality of veterinary medical care, the highest level of safety, and the most efficient delivery of services.
To allow ample time for all patients and scheduled surgical procedures, we see our clients and patients by appointment. Walk-in clients will be seen when necessary and as time allows. Emergency cases are unpredictable events and shall always receive top priority, followed by patients with previously scheduled appointments.
For this reason the occasional appointment delay is inevitable. Please realize that we make a sincere attempt to see each patient on time. If there is a wait when you visit our hospital, we want to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment and check in with a member of our reception team. Any medical records or other necessary information will be collected or updated. Please provide any fecal, urine or other samples you collected for your pet’s appointment.
Patient Arrival Policy
We make every effort to make our patients feel comfortable during visits, but still they may be a little uneasy about new people, new surroundings and new encounters with other pets. For these reasons, and for the safety of your pet, it is important that your pet be properly restrained both inside and outside of our hospital.
For the protection of you, your pet, and others, we ask that…
All cats be presented in an appropriate cat carrier or on a leash. Cat and small dog carriers are available to borrow at no cost. Cats in laps are cozy and comfy at home, but risky in the clinic. You never know when a big dog will come through the lobby mad at her owner that it’s time for a toenail trim and ready to blame the first cat she sees.
All dogs must be on a leash and properly controlled while in the parking area, the waiting area, and the exam room. Retractable leashes hamper our ability to keep your pet safe and in control. Retractable leashes can be hazardous, especially in the clinic setting. Extra-long leashes in a confined space can be dangerous. The thin cord used in many leashes can cause severe injury to humans and pets. Also, the unpredictable leash length can be counterproductive to training efforts.
Upon arrival, please take one of our purple slip leads to use while in the hospital. If you must use a retractable leash please keep it short and locked in order to keep your pet safe.
Important Contagious Disease Information
If your pet is coughing, please do not bring your pet into the hospital to check in. Please call us from your vehicle or come inside without your pet to check in. A member of our health care team will place you and your pet directly in an examination room. This helps us to prevent the possible spread of contagious diseases to other pets. Also inform us if any vomit, diarrhea, or other bodily fluids are outside the hospital such that area can be cleaned and disinfected promptly.
All doctors, including veterinarians, cannot prescribe or sell a prescription product without being familiar with their patients first. For veterinarians it is called establishing the veterinary-client-patient relationship (VCPR). The valid VCPR applies to all veterinarians and to all species of animals.
Therefore, we must examine and evaluate your pet prior to selling or prescribing medication.
Sometimes this evaluation requires certain lab tests to be performed. The long-term use of any drug can also have complications, for example liver or kidney disease. These conditions need to be monitored so that therapies can be modified as needed. By establishing a working relationship with us, we are partnering with you to ensure the best health and welfare of your pet.
Please call us for a refill or appointment before your pet’s medication runs low. Please do not wait until the last minute to call for your refill, as we may not be able to accommodate your request as quickly as your pet needs. Please allow at least 24 hours for all refill requests. Some prescriptions are special order medications that require additional time for delivery.
It is our goal to serve you in every way possible, including making your financial experience clear, understandable and easy to navigate. We are committed to excellence in care and service for every patient, every client, every visit. In order to support this high standard of care, we offer a broad spectrum of services, expertise, equipment and procedures to give your pet the best possible care. We want you to understand each step of your pet’s care, both the services you receive and the associated costs. We encourage you to discuss fees with our staff before services are rendered.
We always strive to provide you with the recommendations that our professional staff believes best serve your pet’s health, your needs and comfort level. We do understand that sometimes financial restrictions apply and must be taken into consideration when making treatment decisions. In these cases, we will attempt to provide alternative treatment plans whenever possible. We have no desire to extend a client beyond his/her financial means or comfort level.
We may not be able to provide a treatment plan and estimate for patients with issues diagnosed elsewhere until we examine the patient and any supporting lab work or radiographs ourselves.
- Payment in full is due at the time of service. MCAH accepts cash, personal checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. All personal checks require a valid driver’s license. A $30 fee is charged for any returned checks.
- Health Care financing credit cards allow you to begin treatment immediately and pay over time. Wells Fargo Health Advantage and Care Credit are both accepted by many veterinary and human healthcare providers. Depending on your pre-approved credit limit, both cards can be used repeatedly without reapplying.
- Wells Fargo Health Advantage offers flexible payment plans including No Interest for 6 months and No Interest for 12 months. Click here to Apply or for More Information https://retailservices.wellsfargo.com/wfha_patient.html
- Care Credit offers No Interest for 6 months. Click here to Apply or for More Information https://www.carecredit.com/apply/
- Pre-approval for health care financing program enables pet owners to deal with emergency situations should they arise. While emergencies situations are not planned, pet owners can plan ahead to be prepared to handle them should they arise.
- Mount Carmel Animal Hospital offers a Senior Discount on most services for clients aged 65 and over. Please speak with an MCAH team member for details.
- A deposit may be required for some procedures including specialty surgeries.
- Default on payments due, including checks returned for insufficient funds, are subject to legal action as allowed by law. Finance charges accrue 1.5% monthly (18% annual rate). Collection fees, bookkeeping fees and billing charges may also be incurred.