Were you aware that August 22nd is National Bring Your Cat to the Vet Day?! This day encourages cat owners to take care of their feline friend’s health and well-being. It also reminds them and the entire nation how fantastic cats are. These cute, furry (and sometimes hairless but equally adorable) pets can bring so much joy to a person’s life. If you ever need a spirit boost, google “funny cat videos.” We promise that you won’t regret it. Today we’re going to go over some benefits of owning a cat. We’re also going to discuss a few ways to honor National Bring Your Cat to the Vet Day and a few fun cat facts!
Benefits of Owning a Cat
- Cats are excellent companions. Whether you’re living alone or live with your family, cats can fill a void and add fulfillment, fun, and purpose to a person’s life. You can count on cats to wait for you after a long day, and you can look forward to a cat affectionately sitting on your lap as you work from home or sit down on the couch to watch a movie.
- Cats are mood boosters!!! Watching cute cat videos can lift your spirit, but imagine having one in your home! Cuddling, playing with, or merely being around a cat, for even just 15 minutes, can reduce your stress. How? When people spend time with cats, their serotonin (a brain chemical that promotes well-being) levels rise, and their cortisol (the brain chemical associated with stress) levels decline.
- Cats help lower the risk of heart disease. Studies show that cat ownership helps reduce the chance of people having cardiovascular diseases. In general, owning a pet also benefits anyone with PTSD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. One study reported that pets served as a support system where secure relationships were not available for those who had mental health issues.
How to Honor National Bring Your Cat to the Vet Day
- Keep regular vet appointments
- Schedule a microchip implantation
- Spay or neuter your cat
- Spread awareness on social media!
Fun Cat Facts!
- Cats can spend 12-16 hours a day sleeping. No wonder people call it a “cat” nap.
- Purring can have multiple meanings, from contentment to stress.
- Cats are not invincible. While cats are independent, seemingly fearless, and resilient as they pounce around, they only have ONE life. For this reason, it’s vital to keep up with vet appointments and take your feline friend to the vet as necessary.
Here at Mount Carmel Animal Hospital, We’ll Treat Your Pets Like Family!
Mount Carmel Animal Hospital has been serving the Northern Baltimore/Southern York community for over 30 years and is proud to be an independently operated, small animal practice committed to excellence in veterinary medicine and client service. From grooming to wellness services, along with Canine Life Skills Training Courses, and surgical procedures, we have the expertise that will best serve the needs of you and your pet. Contact us at 410-343-0200 and follow us on Facebook!