Veterinary Surgical Services
Surgery. We know that might sound scary or overwhelming when it comes to your pets. But, if your pet needs surgery and you live in the Hereford area, Cockeysville, Carroll or Harford County, Southern York County, or another surrounding neighborhood, you are close to excellent care at Mount Carmel Animal Hospital.
Our experienced, skilled veterinary team is able to perform all of the elective and necessary surgical procedures your pet might require, including:
- Spays and neuters
- Tumor and mass removal
- Gastrotomy/enterotomy – opening of the stomach or intestines to remove of a foreign object
- Cystotomy – bladder stone removal)
- CCL Repair – knee surgery)
- Enucleation – removal of eye)
- plenectomy – removal of spleen)
- Gastropexy – tacking of stomach prophylactically or after gastric dilation/volvulus (commonly known as bloat)
- Soft tissue surgery
- Oral surgery
- Specialty surgeries including orthopedics and advanced soft tissue surgery
Surgery – What to expect
We will provide a treatment plan and estimate prior to surgery. It is important to us that you understand our recommendations and all options available to you and your pet.
Most veterinary surgeries will require the use of general anesthesia. A full physical exam and pre-anesthetic bloodwork are always conducted prior to surgery. Our team will closely monitor your pet’s heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, breathing rate, and body temperature throughout the procedure.
As soon as your pet’s procedure is complete, we will contact you to discuss how the procedure went and what you will be able to expect as your pet recovers. Our nursing team will monitor your pet and will work to keep him or her as comfortable as possible throughout the surgical procedure as well as during recovery. We may prescribe pain medication to ensure a restful recuperation at home and schedule a follow-up appointment with you to ensure your pet is healing as expected.