Happy June! It’s Adopt a Shelter Cat Month! There are so many benefits of adding a feline friend to your family, and today we’re going to talk about them. When you have a pet in the home, it serves as a reminder to enjoy the little things in life. It’s nearly impossible to stay in an unpleasant mood with an adorable purring kitten or cat nestled close to you. Today we’ll also go over how to introduce a cat to a new home, specifically if there are other pets already in the house. Finally, we’ll tell you all that you need to know about adopting a pet from The Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS).
Cats Serve As Excellent Companions
If you’re living alone, cats can help take away some of the loneliness because they make excellent companions. However, cats can also bring a world full of fun into any residence, whether you’re by yourself, with roommates, or have a family. You can enjoy your new feline friend sitting on your lap, never leaving your side, and curling up on the couch with them after a long day. Plus, cats are hilarious, and their curiosity gets them into trouble sometimes. Imagine all of the fun moments that you can capture on camera.
Owning a Cat Has Health Benefits
Many studies show that being around a cat has a calming effect. If you’re someone who would like to possibly experience having less stress and anxiety, owning a cat may be ideal for you. Cats also contribute to being helpful to those who experience mental health conditions such as PTSD and depression. Cats assist in managing emotions and serving as a healthy and positive distraction. When cats purr, it’s also therapeutic for cat owners. The sound is comforting, and you may find that you can sleep much better with a cat by your side.
Tips to Introducing a Cat to a New Home
- Put your cat in a carrier when driving them home, and do not leave them unattended.
- Expect it to take several weeks for your cat to adapt to a new home.
- Isolate your other pets from your new cat during the first week (especially if you own a dog, two cats may be more open to each other’s presence depending on their personalities) and introduce them to the home one room a day.
- Teach your family to be gentle with the cat.
- Spend several hours with your cat initially so that they become used to you.
- Provide your feline friend with a soft and comfortable cat bed.
- If your new cat is having a hard time adjusting, you can try pheromone therapy through collars, diffusers, or sprays.
BARCS Adoption Information
The best way to honor Adopt a Shelter Cat Month is by, of course, adopting a cat. If you’d like to bring a new feline friend home, go to the BARCS website. Look through their available options, and once you have the name of the cat you would like to bring home, you have to fill out the adoption application. BARCS’ basic adoption fees are $75, but they have other packages available.
Here at Mount Carmel Animal Hospital, We’ll Treat Your Pets Like Family!
Mount Carmel Animal Hospital has been serving the Northern Baltimore/Southern York community for over 30 years and is proud to be an independently operated, small animal practice committed to excellence in veterinary medicine and client service. From grooming to wellness services, along with Canine Life Skills Training Courses, and surgical procedures, we have the expertise that will best serve the needs of you and your pet. Contact us at 410-343-0200 and follow us on Facebook!